Over in the forums Ken Boak, James Bowman, and myself have been playing with a prototype shield (codename Evita) using the EVE FT812 chip and the Papilio DUO. Ken developed a nice board and James has been able to overclock the thing to output a nice crisp 1024×768 resolution through a VGA connector. Things have been coming along so nicely we have to ask ourselves, could this be the birth of the Gameduino 3? Do people want a Gameduino 2 with VGA output at 1024×768 resolution? If so then please drop by the forum and join the discussion, let us know what you like about the design and what you would like to see added to make it the perfect board for your needs. We’ve already broken the design down to it’s individual sections in the forum and would love your feedback!
Here is a video of it in action:
Here is a screenshot of the PCB Design:
Some specs from Ken’s post:
- XGA Video Output 1024 x 768 pixels at 60Hz 24 bit colour
- Capable of high resolution animated graphics, JPG viewing and MPEG Playing
- Arduino shield footprint – to suit most dev-boards
- 5V tolerant inputs.
- On chip audio synthesiser with 3.5mm jack Audio Output
- Micro SD card holder for storing graphics, JPG and MPEG video
- PS/2 Keyboard Interface
- PS/2 Mouse Interface
- Low cost Open Source Hardware and Software
- Pin Compatible with GameDuino 2
- Suits any microcontroller or FPGA - Arduino/ZPUino GameDuino 2 library available
- Low power – can be used in battery powered applications.